To keep up with all the latest spring flag news at NSMF, Follow @NSMinorFootball on Twitter.
Q: When will the schedule for the VMFL regular season games be sent out?
A: The schedule for Week 1 (April 21) will be posted by April 11. All subsequent weeks will be posted by the Wednesday morning after the jamboree.
**Please also note that we are not able to provide “rough times” for divisions because depending on the pool the team is in, it could change from week to week.
IMPORTANT – If you know your team is not going to be able to participate in the next jamboree, please email both Kim and Kari by the Monday evening before the jamboree. This will allow time to adjust the schedule. If we are not notified and your team is built into the schedule, the games you do not attend will count as losses.
Q: What certifications do Spring Flag coaches need to have for the 2017 Season:
A: All coaches must have an NCCP Number and have successfully completed the Making Ethical Decisions on-line course.
U10 – 2011/10/09
U12 – 2008/07
U14 – 2006/05
U16 – 2004/03
U19 – 2002/01/00
- Feb 13th – Application for Association Membership or Non-Member Endorsement from VFML Club due.
- Mar 3 – Jersey Orders due for delivery prior to the start of the VMFL season (using the supplied order form)
- Mar 23 – VMFL team registration due. Players must be registered by TBA
- March 28, 7:00 pm – Spring Flag meeting – Coquitlam Minor Football Clubhouse – This meeting is for all club Presidents and Spring Flag Coordinators to go over how the season is going to run, updates to last year’s processes/rules and a forum for general questions about the season.
- Mar 30 – VMFL spring flag payment due (via cheque to the VMFL Treasurer)
- April 14, 1:00 pm – Mandatory Spring Flag Coaches Meeting, Club Presidents and Spring Flag Coordinators are also invited. Langley Minor Football Meeting Room
- April 14, 2:30 pm – Referee Clinic – Referees will need to attend one clinic and pass the written exam in order to be scheduled to be booked for this season – Langley Minor Football Meeting Room
- April 14, 5:00 pm – Commissioner Training Session – We are looking for people to be field Commissioners for this year. If you have one or two volunteers that would be willing to commit to 4+ hours on the field for a few of the jamborees, please let us know – Langley Minor Football Meeting Room
- Apr 28 – Jersey Orders due for delivery prior to the BCCFA Championship in Kelowna (using the supplied order form)
- April 21 & 22 – Week 1 – (2 days) North Delta, John Oliver Park
- Apr 28 – Week 2 – NSMF, Newton Athletic Park
- May 5 – Week 3 – Richmond, Hugh Boyd Park
- Apr 6 – Midnight – FROZEN ROSTERS to VMFL – no players can be added after this
- May 12 – Week 4 – CGFA hosting at Townsend Park, Chilliwack
- May 19 – Zone Bowl
- May 20 – Week 5 – (Sunday) CMFA hosting at Town Centre, Coquitlam
Week 5 is the last week that counts towards Provincial seeding.
- May 25 – BCCFA Provincial Championship Fee due (via BCCFA website online) & Frozen rosters submitted to BCCFA
- May 26/27 – no games
- June 2 – Week 6 – Westside hosting at UBC
- June 8, 9, 10 – Provincial Championship in Kelowna, Book Rooms NOW! Don’t forget to check AirBNB
Dates to be Finalized
- NSMF Coaches Meeting – General information meeting for our NS coaches.
- Coaches Clinic – this will be a clinic for new and newer coaches to give some suggestions for running practices and games.
Quick Notes for 2018
- Flags are regulation and will be purchased from Big Kahuna with the rest of the league.
- U10 will be 4 downs instead of 3. 1 coach allowed on field for first 3 jamborees.
- Defence must give 1 yd bubble around Offensive Centre.
- Once ball has passed LOS, all non-ball carriers, must stop.
- VMFL has passed a motion that VMFL Spring Flag Teams will freeze their rosters at midnight following the week 3 jamborree. These frozen rosters will apply to VMFL jamborees only (we have not heard anything from the BCCFA on frozen rosters).
- All teams are entitled, but not required to participate in the Provincial Championships. Must declare either way by week 3.
- Teams must consist of a minimum of 8 players. Maximum 12 at NSMF. (There is no max for league/Provincials)
- No import rule/limit.
- Registration Fee: TBD. Includes: Jersey, Shorts. Please note there is no Alternate Funding for Spring Flag.
- Jerseys – expected delivery before 1st jamboree, if ordered by March 3rd. Jerseys must have a clearly identifiable club name or club logo on the front, and a number that is a minimum of 12” high and is a contrasting colour to the jersey. Teams must have a “home” jersey and an “away” jersey that is an alternate colour from the “home” jersey.
- If a player has not been asked to play by a coach, there is a ‘Player Pool’, like a waiting list. Coaches looking for more players often look at the Player Pool, but being on the list does not guarantee a spot on a team. NS will form teams from this list when enough players from one age group sign up. If only a few sign up in an age group, we will try to place on an existing team where room permits.
- Girls can play a division down from their age. Girls Teams will play a division down and be re-seeded if necessary as the season goes on.
Online registration is now open.
Registration cost is $208 total.
$11 Football Canada (separate registration), plus
$197 NSMF site (includes BCCFA and BCPFA memberships).
Parents must register or renew their child’s Football Canada Membership on the Football Canada website prior to registering your child on our site. Once you complete the Football Canada registration, you will receive an email confirmation (from firstname.lastname@example.org ) with the Football Canada Registration ID. You will need to enter this number in the Spring Flag Registration process.
All players should register online. Registration online must be paid by Credit Card or Visa Debit.
We do not usually accept Kidsport for Spring Flag because it is such a short season, and it usually takes longer to get the approval. If coaches have parents that need to use KS, please have them reach out to me so I can review and provide instructions to the parents. These parents will have to come to park to register in person.
We will have 3 in person registration dates at the Pavillion at Bear Creek from 10:00 am to 12 noon each of the following days:
- Feb 25th
- Mar 4th
- Mar 18th
Football Canada – All players need to register or renew their Football Canada Membership annually. This needs to be done on the Football Canada website and costs $11. This needs to be done outside of your NSMF Football Registration.
If a coach has NOT confirmed you are on his team, enter our Player Pool. Some fees are non-refundable and we cannot guarantee a spot on a team, so this is the first step in being placed on a team. NS will try to put teams together from this Player Pool but cannot guarantee placement.
If a coach HAS confirmed you are on his team, Register Online.
BCCFA Director of Spring Flag Football: Matt Macri
Potential referees must be at least 14 years old.
All people wishing to ref this year must attend a clinic, even if you have reffed before. Note: to attend a clinic you must register with Jayne Ogundehinde at email@example.com. All relevant information will be covered in the clinics.
Player & Coach development online videos